I didn’t set out to catch the world.
I just stepped outside.
Phone in pocket, headphones in,
and the sky said: come find me.
I just stepped outside.
Phone in pocket, headphones in,
and the sky said: come find me.
That’s how it starts, isn’t it?
One sidewalk turns into a route.
One PokéStop becomes a promise.
A bench becomes a raid lobby.
A stranger becomes “team?”
One sidewalk turns into a route.
One PokéStop becomes a promise.
A bench becomes a raid lobby.
A stranger becomes “team?”
Morning
Dew on the grass, coffee in hand.
A Pidgey on my mailbox.
A Caterpie in the bougainvillea.
I’m twenty-something and chasing bugs like I’m ten again
and it feels honest.
The app buzzes. A gift.
Postcard from a friend in Osaka.
Pikachu in a tiny hat, waving from another winter.
I send one back from my rainy street.
We don’t speak the same language
but we both know what 10km means.
Dew on the grass, coffee in hand.
A Pidgey on my mailbox.
A Caterpie in the bougainvillea.
I’m twenty-something and chasing bugs like I’m ten again
and it feels honest.
The app buzzes. A gift.
Postcard from a friend in Osaka.
Pikachu in a tiny hat, waving from another winter.
I send one back from my rainy street.
We don’t speak the same language
but we both know what 10km means.
Afternoon
The park is loud.
Lures blooming pink like fireworks that never end.
Kids on scooters.
Grandpas on benches spinning stops.
College kids debating IVs.
Someone yells “Shiny!” and the whole row looks up.
For three minutes we are one organism
with one thumb and one held breath.
It runs.
We groan.
We laugh.
We stay anyway.
The park is loud.
Lures blooming pink like fireworks that never end.
Kids on scooters.
Grandpas on benches spinning stops.
College kids debating IVs.
Someone yells “Shiny!” and the whole row looks up.
For three minutes we are one organism
with one thumb and one held breath.
It runs.
We groan.
We laugh.
We stay anyway.
I walk to hatch eggs.
2km. 5km. 10km.
My shoes keep the score.
Eevee in the incubator, dreaming of what it’ll be.
Vaporeon? Jolteon? The version of me
that finally chooses and doesn’t look back?
Every step is a small faith.
That distance turns into something.
2km. 5km. 10km.
My shoes keep the score.
Eevee in the incubator, dreaming of what it’ll be.
Vaporeon? Jolteon? The version of me
that finally chooses and doesn’t look back?
Every step is a small faith.
That distance turns into something.
Evening
Gyms glow on corners.
Red, blue, yellow — our little flags.
I leave a Blissey on a statue
like a note that says I was here today.
Tomorrow someone else will knock it down.
That’s okay.
Nothing is permanent except the walking.
Gyms glow on corners.
Red, blue, yellow — our little flags.
I leave a Blissey on a statue
like a note that says I was here today.
Tomorrow someone else will knock it down.
That’s okay.
Nothing is permanent except the walking.
Then the raid egg cracks.
A five-star silhouette.
Twenty strangers become a team in 120 seconds.
We don’t know names.
We know counters.
We know timing.
We win, and the boss throws balls at us
like it’s testing how badly we want to believe.
Gotcha.
The screen shakes.
Someone in the group chat sends 7 exclamation marks.
We all understand.
A five-star silhouette.
Twenty strangers become a team in 120 seconds.
We don’t know names.
We know counters.
We know timing.
We win, and the boss throws balls at us
like it’s testing how badly we want to believe.
Gotcha.
The screen shakes.
Someone in the group chat sends 7 exclamation marks.
We all understand.
Night
Crickets and loading screens.
A Dratini by the river.
I’m quiet.
The city is quieter.
The tracker pings.
Nearby.
I follow the footprints that aren’t footprints.
Turn left at the lamppost.
Turn right at the memory of last summer.
There.
A small dragon, breathing moonlight.
I throw.
Curveball.
Excellent.
It stays.
Crickets and loading screens.
A Dratini by the river.
I’m quiet.
The city is quieter.
The tracker pings.
Nearby.
I follow the footprints that aren’t footprints.
Turn left at the lamppost.
Turn right at the memory of last summer.
There.
A small dragon, breathing moonlight.
I throw.
Curveball.
Excellent.
It stays.
Home is farther now than when I left.
My avatar is tired. Buddy’s hearts are full.
Research tasks checked off.
Stardust in my pocket like sand.
I didn’t catch everything.
I caught enough.
My avatar is tired. Buddy’s hearts are full.
Research tasks checked off.
Stardust in my pocket like sand.
I didn’t catch everything.
I caught enough.
And the truth of it is:
Pokémon Go isn’t about the Pokémon.
Not really.
Pokémon Go isn’t about the Pokémon.
Not really.
It’s about giving your feet a reason.
It’s about turning errands into adventures.
It’s about seeing your own neighborhood
like it’s the first map you ever got.
It’s about the auntie who raids at 6am.
The kid who teaches you type matchups.
The friend you’ve never met who sends you gifts
every Tuesday from a country you’ll visit someday.
It’s about turning errands into adventures.
It’s about seeing your own neighborhood
like it’s the first map you ever got.
It’s about the auntie who raids at 6am.
The kid who teaches you type matchups.
The friend you’ve never met who sends you gifts
every Tuesday from a country you’ll visit someday.
It’s about grief that walks.
Joy that walks.
Anxiety that walks until it’s tired.
It’s about checking the weather
not for you, but for Community Day.
Joy that walks.
Anxiety that walks until it’s tired.
It’s about checking the weather
not for you, but for Community Day.
It’s about remembering
that the world is still full of hidden things
if you’re willing to look down,
then up,
then keep moving.
that the world is still full of hidden things
if you’re willing to look down,
then up,
then keep moving.
So I’ll charge my phone.
I’ll fill my bag.
I’ll set my buddy to walk.
Because somewhere out there
there’s a rare spawn,
a new research,
a raid train,
a sunset that looks like a Dragonite.
I’ll fill my bag.
I’ll set my buddy to walk.
Because somewhere out there
there’s a rare spawn,
a new research,
a raid train,
a sunset that looks like a Dragonite.
And somewhere in me
there’s still the kid
who believed
that if you walked far enough
and believed hard enough
magic would show up
and ask to be caught.
there’s still the kid
who believed
that if you walked far enough
and believed hard enough
magic would show up
and ask to be caught.
See you out there, trainer.
The lures are pink.
The road is open.
Let’s go.
The lures are pink.
The road is open.
Let’s go.

No comments:
Post a Comment